Thumb rules for aquarium fish lifespans:
- Smaller aquarium fish have a shorter lifespan than larger fish
- Fish that lay eggs live longer than those that give birth to live young.
Aquarium Fishes with Short Lifespans: Less than 5 years
- Killifishes: 1-2 years
- Bettas: 2 years.
- Mollies, Platys, and Swordtails: Less than 5 years.
Aquarium Fishes with Longer Lifepsans + 5 years
- Goldfish: 5+Years
- Clown Loaches: 10 – 15 years
- Weather Loaches: 10 – 15 years.
- Silver Dollars: 10+ years
- Pacus: 10+ years
- Convict cichlids: 20 years.